Friday, October 26, 2012

My Grandad

Tonight is a very special night for my grandparents.  My grandad is being inducted into the Colorado Hall of Fame for starting a ski resort - Keystone in Keystone, Colorado in the 70's. It actually set a standard of environmentalism for all ski resort since then.   One cool thing he thought of was to have helicopters brought in to put up the lifts so as to maintain the trees etc.  It is also the first true Family Friendly resort as well.  This was the first of it's kind.  He also was the one to bring in all of the investors (unfortunately our family isn't one of them, but they do have a GREAT plot of land at Keystone where they live!).

He truly is my role model in so many ways and has always made me feel like I can do anything I put my mind to.  He always made me feel being female didn't matter in life, well except when I wanted to go duck hunting with him :).  I just love this article in their local paper... it really describes the two of them perfectly!  I love how he loved to hire women "because they are smarter".  I think he is just trying to keep peace at home after 66 years of marriage ;)

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120826/NEWS/120829851

If it wasn't for him and my grandmother I don't think I would be the strong individual I am to handle what all of us are going through.  I am often told (by my brother in a derogatory way when he is mad at me :)) "OK, JANE"(my grandmother's name). My mother says I am a bulldog just like her too... I am glad as I have gotten everything I wanted for Elan because of it!  THey have been so supportive and even drove from Colorado to Indiana to see the Proton Center for themselves.  They are both 89 and still downhill ski!  We hope to join them this year and teach Elan to ski in a few more.


No comments:

Post a Comment